- Jules “Against-All-Odds” Scranton receives a call from Tina Wilson, informing him that some Garou have appeared at the trailer where she and his children live. Though she protested, she was ushered outside and ran to the nearest payphone to inform him. Upon his arrival, he finds that Janice van Landingham‘s grandfather, one Johnathan van Landingham has arrived with allies to “test” the children’s purity. Though he makes several thinly veiled threats, he does eventually depart at Jules’ behest, with a promise to return for the two that are pure when the time comes.
- Guttooth approaches Jack “Hunts the Tainted” Shepherd and Winter Song, congratulating them on the destruction of so many leeches. He also informs them that he’s scouting a possible location for an ambush, intending to slaughter more than a dozen vampires in a single rush. It seems that two packs of young Bone Gnawers have arrived at the sept with wounds, some from silver. Their memories are spotty at best, and they’re unable to recall what was done to them. Thus, he’s found new figures to rally his hatred of the vampires behind. He seems unwilling to provide them with a location, but all too happy to take their tentative acceptance for another meeting.
- Artorias “Downfall” Thorolund makes his way to the north, between the North Country Protectorate and the Catskills Protectorate near the Vermont border. There, he meets with the Ivory Priesthood, who coax forth his Dragon persona to ask him questions, plying the ancient warrior with liquor and women. On his way home, he is ambushed by Gray Raptors, who leave him scarred and crucified to a tree for nine days before the pack finally locates him with the help of Winter’s Gifts. While suffering, Artorias has visions of the first snow of winter in a copse of beautiful birch trees. He spies a pristine white wolf, seemingly sobbing behind the trees, but he wakes before he can see who or what it is.
- Amun returns, unable to remember much of his time in Erebus. Still, his wyrm-taint seems wholly cleansed, and other than some haunting impressions of the place, he feels whole and hale.
- Artorias receives word from Sarah Bachman, who had slipped away from Soap Hollow to call him. Her father and Art’s adoptive father Levi, is dead. Though the family has shunned him for his departure, she asks that he return to pay his respects.
- The pack journeys to Pennsylvania, and up to the Amish territory of Soap Hollow. In the process, they discover that his time in Erebus seems to have somehow interfered with the Black Spiral Dancers’ ability to hunt and track Amun. Now free to travel other than simply by Moon Bridge, he states his intent to visit Hawaii. Though it has to wait.
- Along the way, Lance reveals that he has been monitoring Soap Hollow via newspaper since meeting Art. Thus, he shows the article revealing that Levi seems to have been slaughtered by a black bear. Of course the Garou believe it to be a plot to draw Art out, perhaps by the Grey Ravens.
- Winter and Jack learn that there is a pack of wolves taking refuge in the forest near Soap Hollow. They have learned not to hunt livestock, though the temptation is strong. One of the pack had been violently mated by what the Garou think to be a Black Spiral Dancer, which fits with the fact that they’re able to scent and sniff out at least one pack of the fallen Garou in the nearby swamps.
- The Swords of Heimdall reappear, led by Kreisleitung Otto Werner and Ortsgruppen Gunter. They swear to assist Dragon and his people in their efforts against the local Black Spiral Dancers. They also inform them that they had arrived to view Dragon’s remains, having been dug up from a mass grave after Charlemagne had put him and his people to the sword.
- That night, a fell song is heard through the property. It seems to put most everyone into the deepest of slumbers, save Art himself. He rises and finds himself drawn to the singer, revealed to be Eve, the Spiral that had seduced him as Dragon on the night of his first change. She seems pleased to have him again, introducing him to their metis child, Medraut. Having kidnapped Lance, she tells Artorias that they must sacrifice him to the bog, in the old ways, in order to make Medraut a man in the eyes of the spirits. Instead, Art attacks. Lost in frenzy, he breaks Eve’s neck and sends Medraut fleeing into the swamp, ceasing the effect of the song and bringing the pack running. Unable to track the boy, they discover he appears to truly be descended of Dragon as well as Art. Thus the metis is ghost-blooded, a sort of abomination unheard of for lifetimes.
- Returning in time for Levi’s funeral, Sarah’s arrival finally relinquishes Dragon’s control of him, and Artorias is freed to fall to his knees and grieve at last.